Followers

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Teenage girl left looking like alien after hair dye causes severe allergic reaction

A teenager was left in agony and covered in weeping sores after suffering a severe allergic reaction to hair dye.

Lois Queen, 13, was rushed to hospital after using L'Oreal Casting Crème Gloss in chocolate brown.

Her face is still swollen 10 days after using the product and she's vowed never to dye her hair again.

Miss Queen bought the hair dye from a local shop near her home in Mottingham, south London, for £5.99.

Scroll down for more...

Lois wanted to change her hair colour before her 14th birthday party


She wanted to colour her hair for her forthcoming 14th birthday party, which takes place next month.

Miss Queen followed the instructions on the pack and, under the watchful eye of her mum Lorna, 40, carried out the allergy patch test 48 hours before applying the dye.

After her face ballooned, she was rushed her to hospital where doctors diagnosed a severe allergic reaction and gave her steroids and antihistamines.

Hair dye

The hair dye used by Lois Queen

Miss Queen said: 'The pain was intense. It was terrifying. Within hours of using it my eye went red and itchy, then the swelling started. The next morning I could barely open my eyes.

'It was so painful. I thought I was going blind and dying. My head was such a weird shape, I looked like an alien.'

Lois said: 'Doctors gave me medicine but it didn't get better, it got worse. I had to go back three times.

'I'd wanted to look better but ended up looking like a freak.'

Mrs Queen, a mum-of-four children and a trainee teacher, said: 'The doctor said she was lucky to avoid permanent eye damage.

'Lois missed a whole week of school and has been miserable. She's really down, won't eat and won't leave the house.

'The swelling has gone down a bit but she is still covered in weeping sores that are getting infected. It's miserable.

'She dyed her hair for her 14th birthday party – coming up in May. She's really gutted.

'I'm revolted and Lois will never dye her hair again. L'Oreal obviously use very strong ingredients.'

Original here

No comments: